Fusion Kids’ Cough Fighter has been specially formulated to taste great while soothing children’s coughs.
- Specially formulated for children aged 2 years and up
- Kid-friendly taste - contains naturally derived blackcurrant flavour, with no added sugar
- Plus extra sweetness from Chinese licorice
- Easy to mix with water or juice – even for children who are fussy
- No added dairy products, gluten or nuts
- Suitable for vegetarians and vegans
- Made in Australia
Fusion Kids’ Cough Fighter contains:
- Ivy leaf, which relieves children’s coughs
- Ivy leaf also has expectorant, antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory effects on the respiratory tract, based on its traditional use in Western herbal medicine
- Elecampane and thyme, traditionally used to relieve children’s bronchial mucous congestion and clear mucus from the respiratory tract in Western herbal medicine
- Chinese licorice, which is traditionally used to ease kids’ coughing in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM)
How it works
Coughing is the body’s way of clearing unwanted matter from the lungs and lower airways. It may also be triggered by inflammation in the respiratory tract (among other causes).
Coughs that cause mucus (also known as phlegm, sputum or expectoration) to be expelled or expectorated from the airways are sometimes referred to as wet, loose or productive. This type of cough may be worse at night, because when the child lies down, mucus drips from the upper respiratory tract (e.g. nose and sinuses) into the lower airways, triggering the cough reflex as the body tries to expel it1.
On the other hand, coughs that don’t trigger the expectoration of mucus are referred to as dry or non-productive. These types of coughs sometimes persist for long periods of time, and may be associated with inflammation of the respiratory mucous membranes. They are also sometimes characterised by spasmodic bouts of coughing.
Coughing and bronchial mucous congestion are common symptoms in children. For example, when kids catch a mild upper respiratory tract infection like a common cold, coughing may persist for a fortnight or even longer2, and more than half experience moderate-to-severe chest congestion within the first 48 hours of the cold’s onset3.
Fusion Kids’ Cough Fighter is suitable for children aged 2 to 12 years and combines herbs traditionally used in TCM and Western herbal medicine, as detailed below.
Ivy leaf soothes children’s coughs
Ivy leaf decreases coughing in children. It’s traditionally used in Western herbal medicine to clear children’s respiratory mucus and to have expectorant, anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic effects on their respiratory tracts.
Elecampane and thyme: traditional expectorants
In Western herbal medicine, elecampane and thyme are traditionally used as expectorant herbs that clear children’s respiratory tract mucus and bronchial mucous congestion.
Chinese licorice: traditional sweet cough relief
Chinese licorice is traditionally used to ease children’s coughing in traditional Chinese medicine.
It has a naturally sweet flavour, which in TCM is traditionally associated with soothing properties, making it a great addition to our children’s cough mix!
When should your child see a health professional for their cough?
Most children’s coughs are mild and of short duration, however severe or persistent coughs may indicate underlying health problems that need professional investigation and/or treatment.
See your doctor or health professional if your child has a cough that is:
- Associated with breathing difficulties, a high fever, changes to the colour of their skin, or a barking or ‘whooping’ noise
- Persisting for more than two weeks - especially when accompanied by other symptoms including shortness of breath and wheezing
- Interfering with their sleep or daily activities
- Triggered by exposure to house dust, pets or pollen, or by the consumption of certain food or drinks
Each 2.5mL contains dry extracts:
Ivy (Hedera helix) leaf 6.4mg, dry equiv.
Elecampane (Inula helenium) root 19.9mg, dry equiv.
Thyme (Thymus vulgaris) leaf and flowering top 18.9mg, dry equiv.
Chinese licorice (Glycyrrhiza uralensis) root 33.1mg, dry equiv.
Balloonflower (Platycodon grandiflorus) root 26.5mg, dry equiv.
Contains purified water, xanthan gum, glycerol, citric acid, potassium sorbate, Stevia rebaudiana, blackcurrant flavour (naturally derived), maltodextrin, potassium hydroxide and silicon dioxide.
If symptoms persist, talk to your health professional. Not to be used in children under 5 years of age without medical advice. Contains potassium sorbate. Store below 25°C. Do not use if cap seal is broken. Keep out of reach of children.
Directions for use
- Children 2-4 years: Take 2.5-5mL, two to three times daily, when medically advised.
- Children 5-8 years: Take 5-7.5mL, two to three times daily.
- Children 9-12 years: Take 7.5-10mL, two to three times daily.
- Serving suggestion: Mix each dose in 50mL of water or juice and consume immediately. Best taken with food. Shake well before use.