Lavender has been called ‘nature’s medicine chest’ as it has so many uses. While the distinctive aroma appeals to people of all ages for emotional healing, the physical properties of Lavender essential oil vary from treating burns to relieving the pain of a headache.
Lavandula angustifolia (flowering tops) (lavender essential oil)
Although essential oils are natural extracts derived from plants, they are highly concentrated and in many cases have a medicinal effect on one or more of the body’s systems.
Consequently, there are a number of contraindications for essential oils.
- Keep essential oils out of reach of children
- Store essential oils away from light and heat
- For topical (skin) and bath applications; always dilute essential oils
- For skin applications, always dilute with a carrier oil or cream
- For bath applications, always dilute with dispersant
- Do not use on or near the eyes
- Do a skin patch test first if prone to sensitivity
- Use with caution on broken or damaged skin
- If symptoms persist, consult a medical practitioner
- Do not ingest essential oils under any circumstances
Phototoxic essential oils
Some essential oils are phototoxic and can increase sunburn when applied to the skin before sun exposure: Bergamot, Cumin, Grapefruit, Lemon, Lime (cold-pressed), Orange (Bitter)
If you have sensitive skin, you may want to avoid using the following essential oils topically: Aniseed, Basil, Citronella, Fennel, Lemongrass, Peppermint, Rosemary
If you are pregnant, we advise you to consult a qualified Aromatherapist and advise your Medical Practitioner before using essential oils topically, especially during the first trimester.
The following essential oils are generally considered safe for use during pregnancy: Lavender, Neroli, Geranium, German Chamomile, Roman Camomile and Mandarin.
Avoid the following essential oils throughout pregnancy: Basil, Cedarwood, Clary Sage, Cypress, Fennel, Jasmine, Juniper Berry, Marjoram, Myrrh, Peppermint, Rose, Rosemary, Sage, Thyme
If you suffer from any of the following medical conditions, or any other serious medical condition, we suggest you consult a qualified Aromatherapist, and advise your Medical Practitioner before using essential oils topically:
- High Blood Pressure
- Low Blood Pressure