Currently, it seems everyone is struggling with memory problems, even younger people are when this was mostly an older person’s affliction.
There are potentially many reasons why our memories are not doing as well as they should be.
Here are 5 reasons why we are struggling with memory:
1. Are we actually concentrating and focused so that we can then recall that memory. If we are not paying attention properly in the first place, we won’t be able to recall it.
2. We are just so busy ALL THE TIME! Parents are busy, kids are doing many outside school activities, people are working longer and generally we are always “online” these days. We are not giving ourselves the rest that we need for better cognitive function.
3. Are we getting enough sleep and quality sleep? Our brain is busy doing things with our memory while we are asleep. If we are not sleeping properly our brain can’t process our memories properly.
4. Are we eating nutritious food on a regular basis? Having good fats in our diet is what our brain needs. If you aren’t eating fish or seaweeds regularly, then perhaps a fish oil supplement may be something to consider.
5. As a society Australia consumes a huge amount of alcohol on a regular basis. Alcohol is known to reduce memory. Are you drinking too much and too regularly?
Eating a whole food diet with the least amount of processed foods, lots of vegetables, good quality protein, good healthy fats, minimal sugar, caffeine and no alcohol is definitely going to help. As is getting good sleep and taking time out to JUST DO NOTHING and that does not mean scrolling on our phones. Too much screen time is believed to be a factor in our poor memories.
Aside from the above, sometimes we need a bit of extra support, and if so, there are a few supplements that you can use to assist with cognitive function and memory.
Our top 5 supplements for improving memory are:
1. Fish oil that contains a higher DHA level than EPA level. DHA is the component of fish oil that helps our brain function. Melrose High Strength Fish Oil is a great product if you are really needing that extra kick of DHA.
2. Ginkgo Biloba is a herb that is great at supporting memory and cognitive function. Our favourite stand-alone product is Herbs of Gold Ginkgo Biloba.
3. Lion’s Mane mushroom has some great qualities to help brain function and memory. We love Teelixir Lion’s Mane Mushroom powder as you can add to your favourite hot drink, smoothie, in your baking and even in your soup.
4. Phosphatidylserine is a major phospholipid in the brain and helps the cellular communication between brain cells. This can be a great addition.
5. Bacopa monnieri (Brahmi) is a herb traditionally used in Ayurvedic medicine for memory and enhancing cognitive function.
For the gold standard of memory supplements consider Herbs of Gold Memory and Cognition Gold which includes Ginkgo, Phosphatidylserine and Brahmi.
What can you change in your lifestyle to improve your memory?